Wednesday, March 03, 2010

I don't know why, but this part of an interview with Deb Caletti (author of several amazing books, including Wild Roses) made me tear up:

Why did you become a writer?
I became a writer because I love books, and I believe in their power. Even more, I love images and sentences and particular words and their beauty and humor and the way they look on the page. I like the word aubergine (even if it means eggplant), but think oevre sounds like a boiled egg. A passage in a book can make you cry, it can make you think differently, it can make you remember something from long ago. To be a writer is to connect and to play and to attempt to see clearly and understand. It astounds me regularly that feeling things deeply and writing them down is basically my job description. It is one of the wackiest and most privileged professions, if you can call it that at all. Writing is not something you do, but who you are. It’s the way I came.

Her new book The Six Rules of Maybe is coming soon. Can't wait for more awesomeness from one of my favourite YA authors.

No comments :