Monday, September 20, 2010

This post is way overdue.

Not only because it's been months since my last entry, but because things have happened that I didn't chronicle. Not that they're particularly momentous events (oh, to have one of those in my life!), but you know, a blog is a blog.

Geek that I am, I'm enjoying what I'm learning this semester. Because I was forced to take modules to fulfil the faculty requirements last sem, there wasn't a whole bunch of modules for me to choose from that I'm actually keen on. Oh, I did all right for my Southeast Asian Studies module, and my Singapore, Asia and American Power module, but they're none too scintillating compared to what I'm taking this semester.

GEK1506: Heavenly Mathematics may sound off-putting, especially if you're not especially mathematically-inclined. I do fine in Math, and I actually enjoy it, even though everyone says, "Oh you're a right-brainer, you're more artistically inclined, so you should, by right, destest Math and Math-related subjects." Besides, Heavenly Mathematics has nothing much to do with Math, really. It's more about cultural astronomy and how the calendar and time zones work, how long daytime is at different latitudes and the position of the stars in the night sky at different times of the year, and how astrology came about. In short, it's everything that's fascinated me ever since I started writing Lambs for Dinner. Constellations and where to find the evening star Venus (also called the morning star; since it can be seen after sunset and before sunrise), and how the distance between Sirius (dog-star, aka Canis Major) and the Sun is the furthest during summer; time zones (did you know that Singapore is actually in the wrong time zone?), new moon sightings and the different positions of sunset/sunrise throughout the year. I am completely psyched to be learning about all this.

Also, PC1322: Astronomy. It focuses more on heavenly bodies like comets ("dirty snowballs") and the planets and their moons, moon phases and stars (lovely, mighty things they are - and all that loveliness from just nuclear fusion!) and nebulae and how to use a telescope. Well the last part's a little technical and dry, since it brings in optics and physics (goodness knows I'm terrible in that), but it pertains to my novel, so I'd say it's good research.

Who knew science modules could turn out to be so interesting?





Joyce is in love with:




1. Writing (as you all know), as I always have and always will

























2. Pink daisies.










3. Jiro. Who could forget him?

No comments :