Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Write, write and write more

I shouldn't be blogging right now. I have a Chinese short story and an English group paper to write, a French test to study for, and a French essay to write.

Yes, it's that time of the semester again. This mad rush, the culmination of earlier procrastinations, is taking ahold of us again.

I'd like to say that I'm not a procrastinator. I've completed all my individual work. The Chinese short story and English paper are group projects, which, as we all know, are a bitch to get down, given how difficult it is to coordinate all our schedules and get down to writing the damn thing.

So lots of writing to be done. Though I can't find a downside to that, because it's writing!

Just today, I wrote my first ever short story in Chinese. It was an in-class assignment and we'll be graded according to the piece we write. We had to write a short science fiction however we want. In other words, CREATIVE WRITING! I was hesitant at first because let's face it, I'm a lot more comfortable writing in English than in Chinese.

Writing short creative fiction in Chinese is different from writing those Chinese essays in secondary or primary school. Back then, we were forced to write to a lame topic or title and use the phrases and words the examiners or teachers would give us credit for. This, though, is free and easy. Write whatever you want, however you want, as long as it is credible sci-fi (it's a Chinese for Technology module, after all). I wrote a piece titled BLACK HOLE, where I used Einstein's theory of relativity as a metaphor in my main character's life and to serve as a backdrop against which his transformation is held. It doesn't matter if I don't get an A for this, because I actually had fun writing it (though I also had Google Translate to thank). I'm pretty proud of myself for coming up with a piece I actually like in two hours. In Chinese. Have I mentioned it's a first?

Okay, I'll stop bragging now. I'm trying not to go near my English group paper, which, if you think about it, is kind of impossible since I'm in charge of writing the introduction. Oh yeah, I'm a fine kick-starter. Go team, and all that.

1 comment :

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Thanks for including me on your blog roll! I'm very impressed with your studies.