Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Best-selling author of THE SCORPIO RACES and the Mercy Falls trilogy Maggie Stiefvater dispenses some invaluable advice on writing query letters and your book.

This is some timely advice as I begin receiving rejection letters from the literary agents I queried for BLOOD PROMISE. A couple of them have requested for partials, but nothing has quite hit the mark yet.

In the meantime, I'm working on the novel I've been wanting to write since the second semester of my sophomore year of uni. UNTIL MORNING started out as a play for my Advanced Playwriting (EN3271) class, and I've toyed around with the idea of having my characters meeting in a dream since then. But I still needed to work out the kinks in the story, which was why I decided to get BLOOD PROMISE out first.

And now I'm on a roll. The first 100 or so pages are always exciting to write, like the words are spilling out too fast for your fingers to keep up. So I'm going to power through until I can't, and then I'll find a way to power through again, just like I did for BLOOD PROMISE.

I know this is a repost of the link, but I can't find any other GIF compilation that sums up the writing process as succinctly and hysterically as this one from ex-literary agent and writer, Nathan Bransford. Also, this chart:


 
So to my fellow writers:
 
 

No comments :