Friday, January 24, 2014

a post of random things (it's Friday - anything goes!)

This is going to be a whole post about random, unrelated stuff. But whatever. Nobody said everything in life has to be related.

1. Have you seen Zuhair Murad's spring/summer 2014 collection?!?! IT. IS. INSANE. SO. GORGEOUS. CAN'T. FORM. COHERENT. SENTENCES. THOUGHTS. WHAT? PRETTY. I DIE.

 photo vanessahudgensexcited_zpsbee55c06.gif

Get ready for the onslaught of pretty! (Pictures all found from Pinterest - I swear, that site is a Black Hole!)








Don't these remind you of Elie Saab's designs? Murad's creations are pretty similar to Elie Saab (also a Lebanese designer), except that the latter's designs are a tad more girly and feminine and dreamy, while Murad's are a little bolder, more risque, and contain sexier elements.

Saab's designs:




Elie Saab can do no wrong.
Soooooo dreamy and ethereal!!

 photo rapunzelexcited_zps24772edc.gif

❤❤❤

I've been in love with Elie Saab's designs ever since I first laid eyes on them, while Zuhair Murad's designs are usually a hit or miss for me. Remember those crazy numbers Kristen Stewart wore to the Breaking Dawn premieres?



... Yeah. Not completely crazy about those. Good thing for her makeup in both instances, though.

But Murad's SS14 collection is LOVE. LOOOOOVE!


2. So it seems apart from writing good stories, being a people person is also vital to a lucrative writing career:
If you’re in business, you've got to be a people person ... Be genuine, be funny, be yourself. Reach out to your contacts and connections to build bridges. Go to writer’s workshops and befriend everyone there. Talk to everyone you meet in your town, and tell them what you do. Organic and sincere networking is the best way to develop a bridge to success. The friend you meet at the workshop could introduce you to his or her agent. However, don’t go into it thinking about what you’ll get out. Just focus on relationship building and the rest will flow naturally.

This does not bode well for a hermit like me. For the sake of my dream, however, I will do what needs to be done.


3. Here's something funny that English majors can probably relate to. I know there a quite a few that ring true for me. Most ardently ;0)

Crush on fictional characters?






Check.

(Shiver remains my favourite book from Maggie Stiefvater. There is nothing quite like reading that beautiful, intense story for the first time.)

Geeking out on authors?

Yes. I. Would. Think. So.

Wow. I really seem thisclose to kissing the ground she walks on. So, check.

In love with my book collection?


Check.

(Speaking of books, I headed down to the bookstore two days ago and got my hands on Wonder Show by Hannah Barnaby. Yay for new book purchases!)

And one more thing:

Isn't that the worst?


4. An update on Neverland: it's slow going but it's going. Can't ask for more than that sometimes. I don't know where it will take me for sure, or how it will meander towards the end, but I'm having fun on this journey so far.


At least Neverland isn't as disappointing as Blood Promise.

My critique partner has just finished reading Blood Promise (a million thanks, Jenna!!), and although she was very very kind and constructive with her feedback, the bottom-line is that she didn't love it like I hoped she would.

 photo samanddeanuglycrying_zps79b446cb.gif

I feel SO BAD, like I'd just wasted her time making her read a substandard story. I actually don't hate Blood Promise. I actually thought it was better than it had been previously. But I get this way: I'd love my story if people gave me positive feedback, and absolutely hate it when they're not crazy about it.


And once Jenna said it out, I saw the truth in her words. It did need more work. I probably did need some time away from it, until I heard the story that begged to be told. Because Jenna may just be one reader, but she's also representative of my target audience. Listen to your readers, I say!


If anyone's willing to invest some time in reading my manuscript, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on it! In the meantime, I'm hiding out in Neverland.


5. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed after reading Jenna's email. While I deeply appreciate her forthrightness (why are people so afraid of hurting a writer's feelings? Just tell me honestly what you think and I'll be eternally grateful!), I am desperate for some perk-me-up right now.

So...


Awwww!

Paros, Greece

FABULOUS pink hair! LOVE, WISH, WANT.

Russian doll cookies! SO cute.

Can you tell I'm a sucker for guys with hair falling over their eyes?

And finally:


Love these boys (plus the drummer, Harry, who isn't in here)! They're one of the few groups that sound good live, write their own songs and have lasted for almost a decade (has it really been that long?!). Long live McFly!


No comments :