Tuesday, February 03, 2015

february's to-read list is not kind on the wallet

The wait is over! February is here!! Sorry, wallet. February's not a good month for you. Blame the publishers for coming out with a slew of titles I've been dying to get my hands on:


1. Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard


I know I've gone on for too long about this book. But the concept! The premise! The conflict!

 photo excitedlittlegirl_zpsd707450e.gif

It would really suck if the book didn't live up to expectations, because it looks so delicious I could gobble it up right now. (I didn't read the seven teaser chapters because I want to read it all at one go, and not wait for weeks before reading the rest of the story.)




2. The Darkest Part of the Forest, by Holly Black


If you've read Holly Black's Curseworker series, you'll know how brilliant she is at weaving complex but un-confusing plots that keep you turning the pages. And this book looks as deliciously sinister as The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, with vicious faeries (also an obsession of mine that led to Blood Promise), gifted siblings, and a horned boy waking from a long, deep slumber to fight the fairies.

 photo dean winchester fight the fairies_zpsql1s6qts.gif




3. Monstrous, by MarcyKate Connolly



A girl born with a spiked tail and wings meant to save the girls in her town from their mysterious fate is spotted by a boy who leaves a red rose for her every evening.

 photo loveit_zps37eeed27.gif 


 photo gimme_zps9f67b740.gif



4. Beastkeeper, by Cat Hellisen


A girl who grew up lonely and longing for magic and on the run learns the truth about what they're running from when her mother abandons them and her father transforms into something beastly. Best part is, she's cursed too, and can only break free of the curse when she falls in love. It's a slightly different take on the Beauty and the Beast story, since the protagonist is beast, so this should be good.



5. The Last Time We Say Goodbye, by Cynthia Hand

 

I'm not usually into tear-jerkers, but I've been in this mood ever since I started watching the Korean drama series, Pinocchio (the music! the romance! plus, the relationship between the protagonist and her cold, distant mother), and read Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, which is more heart-breaking than I had ever expected.

 photo mishaincoherentfangirling_zps1198f4ab.gif


This is probably why No Room in Neverland is turning out way more emotionally intense than I had intended. I'm on page 185 now, by the way! Woohoo!

What's on your To-Read list for February? :0)