Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just received another nice rejection letter (sounds oxymoronic, doesn't it?) yesterday, by Eleanor Jackson:

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for letting me consider WHEN THE LILIES TURN ORANGE. You are clearly a talented writer, there’s much to be admired here. Raven is a great protagonist, intensely likeable despite her few flaws, and her relationship with Connell is both sweet and complicated in all the right ways. You deal with the angst and drama that comes hand-in-hand with a girls teenage years with subtlety and grace, and it was nice to read a young adult book about a romantic relationship where both characters felt like real people with real problems, for a change.

That said, I just can’t see a way to market this successfully to a general trade publisher, nor can I see a way to revise it that wouldn’t compromise some of the elements I liked here. My instincts tell me this is something that’s better suited to a smaller/ independent publisher, and I’m afraid those circles are just lesser known to me.

I’m sorry to disappoint you, and to pass on work by a writer who is clearly gifted. Others will surely feel differently, and I certainly wish you every success in finding the right agent and publisher for your work.

Best,

Eleanor.

Eleanor Jackson
Elaine Markson Agency
44 Greenwich Avenue
New York, NY 10011
t 212 243 8480 x304
f 212 691 9014


Oh, well. You know, after a while, you just get used to the crushing sense of disappointment in your chest. At least she gave me feedback, and was really nice about it. I just wish I can find someone who believes in my story enough to want to see it published.

No comments :