Friday, December 06, 2013

Goodbye, Nelson (and other news)

Woke up this morning to learn that Nelson Mandela has passed away. He died in his home at the age of 95, after succumbing to a lung infection.

I don't like to write tributes to famous people and pretend like I knew the guy so well to pass judgement on the things he did or said. It just feels like I'm jumping in on the bandwagon, like how everyone who'd pretty much forgotten about Michael Jackson suddenly became his fan again after he passed away.

But Nelson Mandela fought - hard - for peace and love and equality, and for that alone I think I should at least share something beautiful that he'd once said:



And my personal favourite:


This can be applied to so many things in life and is thus such a powerful, empowering statement.

Mandela embarked on a tumultuous journey to lead South Africa out of its apartheid shadow, and emerged victorious in the end. Despite his illness, I think leaving at 95 only means he's led a deep and full life.


*


In less somber (and more self-absorbed) news, this is what happened to me this morning on my way to work and at work (though not in that order).

You know sometimes when you see a cute guy who sort of smiles at you that you're supposed to go:

 photo cuteemmastone_zpsb799b846.gif


But then what you end up doing is:

 photo lookaway_zps4efa40d6.gif


And then afterward you're all like:

 photo 1329500787_chloe_moretz_reaction_zps398db391.gif


And:
 photo dammitdammitdammit_zpsfc922366.gif


But then you walk on the street and a semi-cute guy goes:

 photo joey-how-you-doing_zps3a9b6d0f.gif


And you're like:

 photo samwinchesterfabulous_zps9f2490fc.gif


But then you trip on your foot and it's like:



Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

2 comments :

Whiskoffee said...

That;s kinda charming in your own special way. ;)

Joyce C said...

@Whiskoffee Purr: LOL thanks ... I guess? ;)